Thursday, August 5, 2010

Fragment: DETOUR


"When you come to a roadblock, take a detour." -Mary Kay Ash from THE 12 SECRETS OF HIGHLY CREATIVE WOMEN book

I believe in this fiercely!

Every time I feel stuck, any kind of movement creates opportunities; adds new things to my life. Something as little as finding a quote in a book that provides insight, a photo in a magazine that brings inspiration, or an article that inspires ideas. Just as in my walk-abouts, movement places you on a path of hidden treasures.

Yesterday, while working on my homework for hours (WHAT? homework?? yes, I know, I still have to blog about it), I came to a roadblock! I didn't feel satisfied with the way it was coming out. My hands were getting tired from coloring tiny squares. My brain was drained, and ideas just stopped flowing.

(Above right: the homework without the finishing touch)

So, I stood up and went out.

This time, instead of a walkabout, I went directly to one of my favorite spots in this town: BARNES AND NOBLE.

Chai tea in hand, a bunch of books and magazines on the table, the smell of coffee in the air, chattering from all kinds of strangers as background noise. *SIGH* What an inspiring place to be!

I found cool quotes and ideas, and relaxed while dreaming of places and things I saw in the magazines.

I wore beautiful dresses and hats. Visited an ice cream parlor in Brooklyn. I met an artist, a writer, a photographer, a home decorator, the owner of a coffee shop and received great advice from all of them. I traveled to Cambodia and Greece. I was walking around each page in high heels, until I finally brought my tea to a beautiful English garden. There I sat surrounded with butterflies and fairies, and read my books all over again. I became the artist, the writer, the photographer, the home decorator, and the owner of the coffee shop ;)

Yup! I forgot about my homework COMPLETELY! When I got home, I felt brand new...and was able to come back to my tiny, colorful squares with a fresh approach.

Taking detours works wonders for me!

NOTE: I do have to give dad and sister some props. They gave my homework the finishing touch that made it work ;) Help is always needed!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails