Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"Breakfast at Tiffany's"


I'm usually the one who doesn't know the people that everyone knows, the places that everybody goes to, the news that everyone has heard or read of, the films that everybody has seen.

Well, thanks to Guevs, my younger brother, I finally had the honor to watch a MUST-HAVE-SEEN-A-LONG-TIME-AGO classic: BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S!

Audrey Hepburn is contagiously charming as Holly Golightly; an extroverted, naive, gold digger who, breakfast in hand very early in the morning, gets the thrill of the day by window shopping at the Tiffany's jewelry store on 5th Ave. in NYC.

The story is rather pointless in my opinion. But I did love it! The film tells one of those stories that seem so normal, so everyday-like, that you forget you're watching A MOVIE. The experience is more like living Holly Golightly's ordinary life for a couple of hours.

The tiny elements that conform her character and her life give the film its unique and entertaining peculiarity. Holly lives in a cute little apartment on one of those characteristic brownstone buildings in NYC. She owns a nameless cat, who she therefore calls, CAT. Miss Golightly goes out on dates with guys she doesn't even like in hopes of finding a gold mine that will take her out of her "misery". And to top it all of, every week, Holly innocently delivers "weather reports" to an incarcerated mob boss, thinking she's just getting paid $100 to talk about weather--that was terribly cute...I couldn't stop laughing! Her neighbor Fred and her become good friends, and ultimately, of course, fall in love...awww :)

My favorite scene is where Fred and Holly have this tiny dialogue after Fred announces good news about his book being published, and Holly suggests that they toast with champagne:

FRED: "I don't think I've ever drunk champagne before breakfast before. With breakfast on several occasions. But never before before."

HOLLY: "Well, I've got a wonderful idea! We could spend the whole day doing things we've never done before. We'll take turns. First, you do something you've never done before. Then, me...of course, I can't think of anything I've never done before."

And they go on to have an ultra-cool day just doing things they've never done before! What an inspiring idea for when you and your boy want an out-of-the-ordinary kind of day ;) POINT TAKEN!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails