Thursday, February 5, 2009

Fragment: POWER of MUSIC

Yesterday morning, as the violins played away Weber's Der Freischütz overture during orchestra rehearsal, my mind drifted to other times. Times that I haven't lived myself. Times that reflected in my mind in black and white. Times of sorrow, of war and pain. I was playing too, but I couldn't help but envision a small apartment hiding 2 jewish families during the German occupation of the Netherlands in WWII. I envisioned a diary, and the insightful words of a 13 year old girl. I caught myself reminiscing.....about the DIARY of ANNE FRANK.

These are the kind of things that music has the power to do. Music can take you places without you having to leave your seat.

The following clip was filmed, July 22, 1941, on the Merwedeplein in Amsterdam, where the Frank family lived between 1934 and 1942, before they went into hiding. That's the REAL Anne Frank looking out the window of her house.

P.S. Watch the movie, it's pretty amazing! Especially if you're going through a whining period in your life. This story will make you stop whining and be a bit more grateful, even of the not so great things that are happening around you. So touching... Here's the trailer:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails