Monday, May 18, 2009

Fragment: CRESCENDO


Something's been latent on my mind for the past couple of days. I have to make a decision about working at CRESCENDO or moving on to something else. As I think about the pros and cons about staying and leaving, I realized that I've never blogged about THIS fragment of my life :)

CRESCENDO is a center for early childhood stimulation through music. The first day I sat in a session, I entered a magical world, where no word was spoken; everything was sung, danced about and/or acted out. The program is designed for babies from birth until children 5 years of age. The facilitator (which I later on became one) guides parents into activities that stimulate the babies through the repetition of musical patterns, which objective is to provide a nurturing experience that will serve as the foundation for their subsequent learning.

For the past 2 years, CRESCENDO has served as a space for personal and professional growth. Never would I have thought that by stimulating babies through music, they would be TEACHING ME so much! Working at CRESCENDO has been challenging but very rewarding. Babies' responses are random but SO real, and the whole objective is to put all their little responses into the musical context that is being worked at the moment, which then makes the babies feel like, "look, I must have done something right, she's using what I just 'said'" and this becomes a reassuring and learning experience for them, even at such early stages.

Now, the decision about moving on to something else comes entangled with the question of a LIFETIME! Where am I going with this? Does working at CRESCENDO bring me closer to the goals I want to achieve? Does it wisely fit in the grand scheme of my life plans?

Of course, all these thoughts came about after the fragments of my life started jumbling up.

Nowadays, I find myself RESTRUCTURING the FRAGMENTS of my life; and I'm wondering if CRESCENDO should keep being a fragment, or if I should use this time to get involved in other activities that will take me to new heights or complement my music career in other important ways.

Either path I choose, I am sure I've got a lot to win. Whether it is in the world of MUSICAL MOTHERING (I love this term used by Maria Jameau) or moving on to other music related activities.

I've been lucky to be part of the CRESCENDO family. Much love to Eli and Tia Mary (in the picture above, my bosses)!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails