Thursday, May 28, 2009

"KALMING notes..."


I lived a truly magical experience today :) These are the little things that have been happening in DR that have kept me happy, satisfied, and wanting to stay for longer!

A couple of days ago, before starting yoga class, the director of the centre introduced us to a new student. Everytime she introduces me, she HAS to mention the fact that I'm a musician and that I play with the symphony. She sounds so proud that it makes me blush all the time! Reminds me of my dad ;) Anyways, that day in particular, she probably noticed herself how excited she sounded introducing me, and went on to say: "Hey! I have an idea; bring your clarinet one day and play for us. Let's make it something special; we'll decorate and invite students from the other classes. Mother's day is approaching! Maybe we can offer a little concert as a gift to the mothers at the centre!" She went on and on with ideas, and got ME all excited! "LET'S DO IT!", I said.

Before I knew it, the day of the mini concert came (today!) and I hadn't even decided what I'd play. About an hour before the time I had to be at the centre, I picked out a couple of excerpts from clarinet concert and solo pieces, mixed them all together, wrote down a list of order, and got dressed to go! The whole vibe I'd pictured was a hippie, chilled environment, and that's exactly how I dressed. I got to use these funky pants I bought in Spain, topped with my abosulte favorite: a wifebeater ;)

When I arrived at the centre, they were so excited to receive me. My yoga instructor approached me and told me to close my eyes for the surprise. With my eyes closed, he took my hand and led me to the outside terrace where we take our classes. When I opened my eyes, I saw exactly what I wanted to have seen! It was MAGICAL! He did a great job setting up a mini stage with the right kind of mood for what we wanted to share this night.

(right: I got pretty flowers! awww)

I talked to the audience, introducing each piece of music, some experiences, and just had lots of fun playing for them. The terrace was only lid with candles. I told the audience to sit back and relax listening to an instrument not too common to just sit and listen to around here. "Enjoy the KALMING notes that I will be playing for you tonight", I said. I sat down and played for about 45 minutes.

When I finished playing, they applauded with so much excitement. I could see the eyes lid with emotion and appreciation. It is truly FULFILLING to touch people in this way...

(right: me and my yoga instructor on his fab stage set up!)

I then offered them an extra little gift dedicated to all mothers, and sang a beautiful song I'd learned at CRESCENDO (my other job). Here's the song: "Señora, Señora". I was a little suffocated from having just played (it was so hot!), so I sound a little shaky and out of tune, jeje but the words are beautiful! Sorry for the non-spanish speakers :-/

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails