Friday, November 7, 2008

Fragment: B4 25...

You guys, I've got a couple more minutes b4 25! What an event! This feels more climactic than 15 and 21 put together! Hold on, that would be 36, NEVER MIND! You get the point, I hope ;) (Left: me right now, UYY!)

Anyways, to celebrate my last night of being 24, I went to see "Nights in Rodanthe" (tonight instead of tomorrow) which I'd been anxiously waiting for! I went alone, alone, totally alone. It might sound sad, but it actually isn't. I really enjoy going to the movies by myself. I can take everything in better (whatever this may mean).

Now, about the film...I feel like it's not my place to critique movies in public like this. I mean, I feel like such an ignorant in this matter. But I mostly go by feelings; what emotions did this movie bring out in me? And from there, I guess, I form an opinion. You see? Nothing too technical, more like a super-personal comment.

However, I do feel the storyline in "Nights in Rodanthe" was kind of weak, like it was missing something. I read the book by Nicholas Sparks a couple of years ago, and loved it! I got hooked to his books after watching the movie "A Walk to Remember", one of my absolute favorite movies, by the way! Anyways, I remember the book was fabulous.

But there's SOMETHING peculiar about books that are made into movies. I think you either have to read the book and NOT watch the movie, or vice-versa. The thing is that one of the two will always lack what you are expecting! If you read the book first, you'll find that the movie doesn't show enough, because book stories give way more details. Also, the images you may have created in your mind, although guided by the author's descriptions, are really your own-unique creations; when you don't see them (YOUR 'imagined-images') on the big screen, you become subconciusly disenchanted. Moreover, if you see the movie first and then read the book, your mind is going to be already 'tainted' by what you've seen, and you will be expecting to 'see' what you already 'know', and totally miss out on the personal imagery process that takes place in READING.

Nevertheless, I will give this movie a chance. I remember when I saw the movie "The Notebook", also based on a Nicholas Sparks' novel (you see, I was hooked!); I had read the book first, and when I saw the movie, I felt empty. I was so full of expectations because of having read the book, that I couldn't appreciate the movie simply for what it was. Today, I own this movie. I came up with this theory of mine, and decided to give it chance. I love it now! I can watch it over and over again, and even cry *sniff, sniff*...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MEEEEEEEEEEEE ;)
Good night.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails