Sunday, November 2, 2008

"Fior di Loto"


It has been almost a year since I spotted Fior di Loto Hotel in Juan Dolio (a beach town 30 minutes away from the capital) and immediately knew I needed to check it out someday. Pushy and I were heading towards the beach when we drove by a mansion-like white house with colorful paintings hanging on the outside, and a sign that read HOTEL FIOR DI LOTO-Rooms for Rent 10 20 30 and 40 US $.

Yes! Looks like my kind of place!Low-budget travel, adventure, small place, small beach town, colorful! And soooo close to home! I kept it in mind for any weekend I'd just want to escape...and so that weekend has arrived! I called my friend Wendy, asked her if she'd want to go away with me, and she did, so we drove to Juan Dolio last friday, checked into a $20 room at Fior di Loto, and spent 2 full days at the beach...it was fabulous!

We spent so much time at the beach that I couldn't fully take in the hostel's juicy details (more like a hostel than a hotel, I think). But I did notice and appreciate a couple of things...some, I adored; others, I didn't really like. The hindú décor in the bedrooms and the common areas was fantastic! There were lots of fabrics and pillows of different colors, patterns and textures everywhere; lots of lamps hanging from the ceilings; random things scattered on the floor, hanging on the walls and from the ceiling; a small reading area (which I forgot to photograph); a kitchen and bar that served as the reception desk, only served food for employees not for the clients (huh?); dogs and cats popping out everywhere (ewWw!); bedrooms were great for the price (nice decor, decent bathroom, TV with cable, closet space, a full bed, a twin bed, a fan).


All in all, a great place to spend the night with a girlfriend...US$20 for the room meant only US$10 for each person; a great value to stay 100 mts. away from a beautiful beach, and a street full of tiny restaurants serving great seafood, and lots of italian (not sure why?).

"Enjoy the little things...one day you may look back and realize they were actually the BIG THINGS!"

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails