Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Fragment: OBAMA/politics


I don't really follow politics...and I am so aware of how bad it is to be apathetic in this matter. I mean, politics has been tainted by corrumption and selfish human mistakes, but it still is the system of organizing and taming this crazy society comformed by the human race. So, I guess I should start caring a bit.

I have never voted before; never have even considered it. Not in Dominican Republic (my home country, where I was born), nor USA (where I became a naturalized citizen). However, for the first time in my life, I've caught myself watching political debates, and actually being interested in what was being said. Without being too aware of it, I began making up an opinion of my own about the upcoming elections in the United States. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that HISTORY was about to be MADE. I can be apathetic to politics, but this time, it was different...we were all READY for CHANGE.

I feel so bad about not having voted. Although I'm not in USA, I found out I could've easily voted at the Embassy of USA here. But it's ok, HE WON anyways... (Pushy voted for the 1st time, YEY!).

I was watching CNN last night for the results, but fell asleep sometime before 12AM. It wasn't until this morning when I woke up and checked my e-mails that I read a message from my brother saying: "We have a black president, Neny! So, STAY BLACK! Peace, Alex". My heart jumped...YES! I went on search engines to find out more. I found and watched a clip of the most relevant moments of Obama's acceptance speech. I got goosepumps and teary eyes. How AMAZING is this, you guys?!

HISTORY being made right in front of our eyes, in our lifetime...I think this is so special. We read, heard our teachers, studied for exams, tortured ourselves learning facts to pass HISTORY class for YEARS...and to now actually LIVE history...it's pretty amazing!

While watching the clip of Obama's speech, I couldn't help but think about Martin Luther King, Jr. He made history fighting so hard for civil rights. He desired something so simple as to black people being able to normally sit in a bus with whites...and LOOK now! His dream has gone beyond what anyone could have even imagined (don't know if he dreamt THIS far)...

45 years later, not only has our society integrated beyond race, but for the first time in HISTORY, a black man has become the PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA!

Wow...
Wow...
Wow...

It was so beautiful to see these two families, Obama's and Biden's, on stage; hugging, laughing together, cheering, showing signs of affection...black, white, yellow, pink, blue, red! Who cares?! What a wonderful picture...your DREAM has come true, Mr. Luther!

And not only as a motto or cliche, but FOR REAL, with faith I say, "GOD BLESS the United States of America"...and may He guide Obama in the huge challenge that lies ahead; because after the joy, celebration and beautiful historical pictures, comes RESPONSIBILITY. May God bless Obama with wisdom and His loving grace.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails