Wednesday, December 3, 2008

"ARTe Libre"


A couple of days ago, I came across an event being announced on Facebook called "ARTE LIBRE" (Free Art-free as in freedom). I got so excited when I saw it! It appealed to me instantly, especially because of my focus on art lately, thanks to etsy :)

All hyped, I immediately told my sister about it. She then found an article on the newspaper also announcing the event, and showed it to me; it read something like this: "The gardens of the Modern Art Museum will be full of ART today! Those free spirits that feel the need to be nurtured with different art forms will find exhibitions, flea markets, performances, visuals, music, picnics and lots of fresh air at ARTE LIBRE. There will be designers such as...........such and such.....Oh! The entrance is free, and don't forget to bring your blanket to sit on the grass!" OH---MY---GOD!!!!!! This article definitely spoke to MY free spirit!

After a whole day with my mom running -her- errands (and anxiously thinking about ARTE LIBRE the whole time), I finally was free to go! I would've preferred getting there before sunset, but it was not possible :-/ However, it did not take away its charm and its impact on me!

(Right: Tabu and me)

I invited my sister, but she had a wedding to attend; I called my friend Lemay, but she was apartment hunting with her man; I would've taken my mom, but she had to babysit my niece and nephew; wow...I felt so ALONE! Pushy, where are you?! I need you here with me :( Well, Tabu came to my mind; he's a very good friend of mine that got a girlfriend recently and has forgotten about a friendship with ME (grrr)! I thought he wouldn't be available, but to my surprise, he was!! So, YEY! I finally had an option ;)

I was excited throughout the day, but when the time came to go to ARTE LIBRE, I was a bit out of it. So, I decided to go alone and check out if the event was even worth staying more than 5 minutes.


I arrived, parked my car, got out, started walking...and as I approached the garden, I was swept off my feet! IMMEDIATE CONNECTION!


There were sofas and coffee tables scattered on the grass, people laying and sitting on blankets, all dressed very bohemian and artsy, a DJ playing chill out music, peculiar-small stands of food vendors, 2 guys painting a huge mural, flat screen TV's hanging from trees, artists showcasing their art and handmade goods...It was a perfect scene...one I felt I belonged to.


"Where had all these people been hiding this whole year and half that I've been here?! Am I even in DR right now?" I felt like I just stepped into a whole new place! I was so happy, and wanted so badly to share this with someone that would FEEL me! Pushy would...but couldn't really think of anybody else, there, at that moment. I did call Tabu, though. He wouldn't exactly feel me, but I knew he would stand it and be good company........and he was :)

(Above left: the stand I spent most time at and bought most. Below right: Tabu and me chilling on grass.)


I took my bamboo mat out of the car, opened it on the grass, bought 2 beers and 2 kipes, sat with Tabu, and talked away! Of course, this happened after I bought myself a couple of beautiful works of art!!!!!!!!!

I met the girl that was responsible for this fabulous idea, and congratulated her and thanked her for providing us 'free spirits' a space of this kind, at least for one beautiful day...I had a blissful couple of hours.





(Above left: me trying on stuff, and of course, buying it right after this picture was taken! Below right: me browsing around.)



1 comment:

Chennifer said...

Oh! I hope they´ll have a lot of these kind of events when I move. It was the Modern Art Museum, right? And do you know who organized it?

Great pictures by the way - gives a great feeling to the text!

Related Posts with Thumbnails