Sunday, December 21, 2008

"Last week's FRAGMENTS..."

So many things have happened these past few days! Where to start......????

Well, for starters, last sunday I got a gig playing "PETER AND THE WOLF" in Santiago (a town 2 hrs north of the capital, the 2nd capital of DR). "Pedro y el Lobo" (in spanish) is a fantastic children's story, composed by the russian Sergei Prokofiev in 1936. Prokofiev wrote both the music and the text. A narrator tells the story accompanied by an orchestra. Each character in the story is represented by an instrument which plays a specific theme every time the character comes into scene. I play the clarinet, so I was the CAT!

Click here to listen to the themes, especially the cat's theme ;)

http://www.philtulga.com/Peter.html

It was certainly a good experience! I enjoyed it and played it decently, I believe.

Secondly, I've been wanting to write about my new hobby/business/craft! ABOTONADA by NenyGQ ;) Visit my other blog to learn about what I've been dedicating lots of my time to, lately http://abotonada.blogspot.com/. ABOTONADA is the solution that I have found until I move to Cali and open my Etsy shop. The blog is in spanish, so for the non-spanish speakers, basically, I LOVE BUTTONS and have found a cool way to use them! I found a little treasure the other day that inspired me to make these bracelets, and I'm enjoying it so so so much! I have lots of buttons; new ones, old ones, found buttons, purchased buttons, and buttons borrowed from my grandma's collection ;) I've already gotten orders! Today I have 4 bracelets to make, YAY!


Also, last wednesday, I received a phone call for another gig! A local band was to have their debut concert and wanted me to do the background vocals and play some clarinet on a couple of songs. I was so excited! It's a form of gig that I hadn't really tried before, but it sounded so like ME! The band has the lead vocalist's name, JOSE BRACHE, and a friend of mine is the musical director and the man of all the arrangements. I loved all the songs when I heard the CD, and spent the last 3 days playing the disc over and over, so I could internalize the music and learn the vocals.




The concert was last night...and it is unfortunate that the turn out was really low, in terms of the amount of people that attended. I guess the band spent so much time taking care of the musical aspect, which was FANTASTIC by the way, that they did not attend the marketing aspect of the whole deal sufficiently. So much work, and such a gem, not to be appreciated because of the word not having been spread. However, THE SHOW MUST GO ON! We went on stage, the curtains opened, and with the very few people that were there, we gave a very nice performance ;) At least, I enjoyed it FULLY! It was once again, another FABULOUS experience in my life! Ahhhhhhhh, love those ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's my favorite version of the Cat's Theme from Peter and the Wolf :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails