Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Fragment: FEET


As I organized photos on my computer, I curiously realized that I tend to take pictures of my feet, especially when I am ALONE somewhere.

I became intrigued, and immediately wondered: WHY IN THE WORLD DO I DO THIS?

Hmmmm...

Now that I became aware of my FEET photos, I find them everywhere! I began to search online and have come across SO many! It's so exciting to know that other people do it too ;)

But wait...Does this mean/say anything in particular?

Most of the people call this kind of photo a SELF PORTRAIT--interesting.

The irony of my feet-picture-taking is that I actually dislike my feet =/, so...why do I want to record them so often?????

Of course, this was my immediate thought after realizing how often I do it. Nevertheless, after reading photographer Karen Walrond's explanation, I understand that when I take pictures of my feet, what I really want to RECORD is the moment; a memory lived and understood by me...just by ME.


"And finally, the above shot of Susannah's feet: in this case, Susannah wasn't trying to capture her feet, per se, but the memories of what she was feeling and experiencing right at that very moment on that cold, rocky English beach. In this case, the photograph is a tool to record emotion, rather than to document scenery."

WOW! It explains to PERFECTION the reason why I take self portraits of my feet--to record emotions of a specific moment/place in time *SIGH* Love it!

I am hooked to finding more feet pictures now!!!! Do YOU take this kind of self portrait too? If you do, please, DO SHARE ;)

Here are my findings:

From my friends' pictures on Facebook

1. Frenchy Aish girl's feet @ France 2. Paopao's and her friend's feet @Bariloche 3. Sol's and her friend's feet @DR 4. Jirehsita's and her friend's feet @Boston

From complete strangers around the world

Notes: Just in case people from the "strangers from all over the world" section come across their pair, here are the sources.
1. David Avery's feet after bike race (ice on shoes) from his blog
2. Stephanie Levy's get together with other bloggers in England
3. S and J's feet in lake from Susanna's Sketchbook blog
4. Rosemud's blog http://rosemud.blogspot.com
5. Rosemud's blog http://rosemud.blogspot.com
6. "Fishnet Feet" from Lauratitian flickr photos
7. Kyle Silverman's feet in climbing aiders from Oregonlive blog
8. Dgypsy flickr photos
9. Christian girls rebuilding in New Orleans from Elca blog
10. Baby Gideon from Baby Gideon's blog
11. Ian's feet at beach from Netspeed blog
12. Mama Vee's feet before surgery from Avital blog
13. Megan's feet at Charles de Gaulle Airport from Not Martha blog
14. Rosemud's blog http://rosemud.blogspot.com

My own :)
1. Me @Astor Place, NYC 2. Me @train station, NYC 3. Me@Lemay's wedding, DR 4. Me @Productos Bautista photoshoot, DR 5. Me @airplane on my way to NYC 6. Me @My Way Coffee shop, NYC

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails