Sunday, September 14, 2008

"L'Atelier de Tom"

My first class was such an experience...and anything that gives me an unexpected, out-of-the-ordinary moment, j'adore!

Tom is such a character. He is my teacher and the owner of the school. The minute I entered L'Atelier de Tom, I knew I was in the right place...it is so wonderful to feel that, an instant click that makes you move forward without a doubt despite you entering the unknown. It's like you belong there...something feels familiar although you've never been there before. This is how I felt.

The school is really Tom's house, in which he converted a small annexed cottage into a language school. The little school has 2 classrooms; there is a shelf full of books, a TV, videos, a radio and CD's; there's also a fridge full of sodas, juices, water and beer (?!); and my favorite part, Tom's office, which consists of a tight hallway that looks like it used to be the kitchenette of the cottage...so funny!

Tom is tall and slim, has a huge smile which he uses at all times, and is VERY outgoing and loud :) He is from Bordeaux, and lives such a european lifestyle despite having lived in DR for quite a while. Ok, enough about Tom...I come into the classroom to see only 4 students other than me and I immdiately love it! I love intimate settings, I work better in this style ;) The group is small but very diverse. There is an older woman, who's more advanced than the others, but wants to keep attending the Basic French (?); there's another one, a couple of years younger, who's attitudy and acts like "Mrs. Know It All"; there's one a little younger than this last one, who seems like a working woman, a secretary or something, maybe it was her uniform (?); then there's a younger one, but a bit older than me, who's not dominican, looks european, not sure from where though, and was talking about how to lose her baby fat...and lastly, there's MOI!

So everybody immediately starts speaking french! WOW! Wait a minute...TOM! DO YOU REMEMBER THIS IS MY FIRST CLASS?!?!?! He didn't seem to care...ok! Some were speaking better than others, they would talk about random things, I could tell, and help each other, sometimes even correct Tom...it was interesting, but I was so lost! But I suddenly remembered that in my first conversation with Tom he did mention that the technique he uses at his school is very conversational, very coloquial, learning by just talking a lot about whatever they were doing, seeing, hearing or even eating. So I guess I was just being thrown out there, I had to "swim or drown". In situations like these, the brain becomes more alert, instincts of defense awaken, and without me having total conscious control, my brain started making connections, and even formulating little sentences or questions! I'd never spoken french before! So I guess this technique really works! However, I am a very structured person as well, besides me loving spontaneity, so I am not sure for how long the throwing me out there will work for me.

Anyways, now to the prime moment of the day! In the middle of the random conversations, I hear the words vin and chocolat...mmm, I wonder what they are talking about! And suddenly, the older woman brings out a black bag and starts giving out chocolate bars. Tom, on the other hand, stands up with such emotion, like he just started a bet with someone and is sure to win. He brings out a jug of wine! WHAT?!?! We start eating il chocolat and drinking le vin, and the class just went on regularly, as if nothing out-of-the-ordinary was happening! Meanwhile, I was loving the class already ;)

Let's see how the rest of them go............................Bon Soir!

Seize the moment of excited curiosity on any subject to solve your doubts; for if you let it pass, the desire may never return and you may remain in ignorance.

1 comment:

Alex G. said...

Sisterrrrrrrr... I wanna continue studying French!!!! Je parle peu francais mais je veux apprendre plus avec vous. Que pensez-vous? Anywho, it's great to learn other languages. I loved it when I took my two years in high school. I do hope I can go back to it someday. Good luck sister, and write to me in French when you get the chance, it will help you practice! a tout al'heure!

Related Posts with Thumbnails